Dissecting James Blunt

"Dan, what are you thinking?", I can imagine you mouthing at the screen, as I begin a dissection of the lyrics to arguably 2006's most annoying song, 'You're Beautiful'. "Haven't you got better things to do with your time? Haven't I got better things to do than read it?"

The answer to those questions are "Yes" and "Possibly", respectively. Still, consider this: You undoubtedly WILL hear that song again. You can choose to endure it in the same way you have countless times before, or you can listen to it with fresh ears, with a new perspective on the song lyrics, which I am shortly going to attempt to explain.

The first startling revelation I am proposing, is that this song involves 5 characters. You've probably not noticed till now, but the perspective changes. Soon into the song, Blunt speaks of a girl he saw on the subway, with another man, for whom he is confident he has a plan to be with. However, the chorus repeatedly claims 'I will never be with you'. The only logical conclusion to draw from that, is that the subway girl is NOT the thrice-beautiful girl he sings the chorus to! The 5 characters are Blunt himself, his girlfriend, 2 angels, and another man.

The story therefore, with reference to the lyrics below, must be as follows:

James Blunts life is brilliant(1), and his love is pure(2), because he has a plan(3) to hook up with an Angel(4), that he saw on the subway(5) with another man(6), presumably God or Jesus. Faced with their celestial awesomeness, he is struck blind(7,8), but he does not feel this to be a hindrance. For these reasons, he must break up(9) with his beautiful(10) girlfriend, that he'd met in a crowd(11) who he's only with because another angel though it would be a laugh(12).

I think you'll agree, this interpretation makes for a much more interesting song. Here are the lyrics (which I'm sure you'll be familiar with) with numbers indicating the above annotations:
My life is brilliant.(1)
My life is brilliant.(1)
My love is pure.(2)
I saw an angel.(4)
Of that I'm sure.
She smiled at me on the subway.(5)
She was with another man.(6)
But I won't lose no sleep on that,
'Cause I've got a plan.(3)

You're beautiful(10). You're beautiful(10).
You're beautiful(10), it's true.
I saw your face in a crowded place(11),
And I don't know what to do,
'Cause I'll never be with you.(9)

Yeah, she caught my eye,(7)
As we walked on by.
She could see from my face that I was,
Flying high, [ - video/radio edited version]
Fucking high, [ - CD version]
And I don't think that I'll see her again,(8)
But we shared a moment that will last till the end.

You're beautiful(10). You're beautiful(10).
You're beautiful(10), it's true.
I saw your face in a crowded place(11),
And I don't know what to do,
'Cause I'll never be with you.(9)

You're beautiful(10). You're beautiful(10).
You're beautiful(10), it's true.
There must be an angel with a smile on her face,
When she thought up that I should be with you.(12)
But it's time to face the truth,
I will never be with you.(9)


If you disagree, or have another interpretation, I'd love to hear it, just leave a comment or drop me an email. Have a great 2007!

Comments

Popular Posts